No. 26 (June)

No. 26 – June – Guitare de chambre, spruce/mahogany

Update 14 Nov 2021

I’m happy to say the June is now completed except for

  • affixing the bridge
  • shaping the saddle and nut
  • final setup, adjustments, etc.

I’m now putting the polish on, which I actually don’t like doing in November, but I can’t bear to wait till next year.

 

 

Update 18 Oct 2021

A lot has happened with this instrument since the last update. I “closed the box” back in May, bent the maple binding strips and cut the binding channels, and also did a very basic shaping of the neck. Then I put everything on the shelf to work on Joanne, which I finished just recently.

The outline of two boxes, by the way, is practically identical.

So now I’m back to working on June and have since then

  • cut and inlaid a tail graft in flamed maple
  • glued in the maple binding strips and sanded them flush
  • thinned and narrowed the neck
  • fiddled and whittled the neck joint almost to the point of insanity, only to discover that I had actually created a “secret feature” whereby you can adjust the neck angle by slightly loosening or tightening the bolt connection
  • shaped and slotted the fretboard
  • thinned the headstock and attached a cover plate made from the same piece of rosewood as the fretboard with continuous grain lines (as with the Jenny)

Update 28 Mar 2021

Top bracing is (almost) completed – still need to taper the ends of the lateral braces to 2 mm. Then mark and cut them to length and cut the notches in the lining. I want to get the top attached to the sides as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a solera or working board with the correct radiuses so I’ll either have to make one or figure out some other way of maintaining the dome while I put the pieces together. With the Jenny I just made a ring out of spruce veneer that I placed under the edges of the top so that the table top just barely touched in the middle of the lower bout. That worked well, so I might try that again.

Update 14 Feb 2021

June is coming along, slowly but surely. Sides are now ready for assembly, top and back are joined, and I’ve bent several strips for the soundhole ring. Unfortunately, all the walnut pieces broke except one, so we’ll either have to go with one simple maple-walnut-maple ring like on the Jenny, or use some other wood with the maple – I managed to do two rings in wenge, which would be a lot darker than the walnut but might look quite nice.

This is a new guitar form that is intended as the “big sister” of the Jenny ukulele form. The first run will have the same wood combination as the Jenny No. 25, so they will hopefully turn out as a pair of instruments that stays together. Currently a scale length of 620 mm is planned, but there is certainly some leeway to shorten by 10 or even 20 mm, or even to go up to 630 mm.